Murph Notes

Murph is cool

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dublin, Ireland

I am cool.

Monday, November 28, 2005

Am I Ready?

My daughter yesterday told me she was working on a lesson for the teenagers. I thought this was interesting and asked her to tell me about it. She said she was thinking about using a tree to teach them about how we need God. Trees need water, sunshine and dirt (nutrition in the dirt she explained). And we, people that is, need the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. She is working Which One should be represented by dirt.

I am amazed at the unbelievable amount of talent we have in our church. Last night we had a Hanging of the Greens service and it was just amazing. Today I am sad at how much of that talent we spend in/on worship that seems focused on making us feel good about ourselves and God and how little we spend on creating worship that draws people outside the church in and/or reaches and blesses our community. I don't mean to be overly critical of my church. I love them but I wonder what last night would have looked like if it had been planned for people outside of our church.

I was honored to sit with one of my teens in her living room yesterday and pray with her and her family. Her Grandma, who walked this earth 91 years, had passed away. She cried and told me how much her Grandma loved seeing her dance. Her mother told me how her Grandma made the stocking for this young lady that they had hung on the chimney that day.

I was honored to walk into an ICU put oil on a man's forehead and pray to my God that He would heal him and comfort his family while/as/before He did so. I then went and visited the family in a waiting room and saw 2 of my teens dealing with their Dad's collapse and recovery as best teens can. They told me how he finally woke up this morning and wanted a Diet Coke and someone to take him home. They laughed. I am grateful for their stories and hope.

Today I plan for a Christmas Party, Winter Retreat, Youth Staff Retreat, and Summer Mission Trips. I pause to read Psalm 46. I pause longer to dream of what I believe this ministry needs to look like in a couple of years. I need to get these dreams/plans on paper for my boss and for a meeting I have tomorrow with my Lay Leaders. I am reminded that Jesus could come back tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home